4.17.2010

V.A - The Quill Records Story - The Best of Chicago Garage Bands


Peter Wright's Quill Records recorded some of America's best garage rock. The term is a misnomer in Wright's case because he used good studios but still managed to produce that raw, edgy sound associated with the style. The 25 tracks represent a good overview of Quill's output by a host of Midwest bands that deserved far better including the Exterminators, the Rooks, Chances R, the High Schoolers, the Delights, and the Skunks. Lovers of the style will treasure these refreshing mid-'60s sounds.


Remember chocoreve...
his last post...yeeee-iii-eeears ago...
good ole days finished for him...
Well, enjoy.

9 comments:

The Bomber said...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=V2G9R0WW
passw: bomber
...originally served by choco...

Albino Cavewoman said...

Got this from Chocoreve last year. It's totally awesome. I especially enjoy the Rooks selections.

Viacomclosedmedown on youtube said...

Holy shit Pablo you're bowlin' 'em right down my alley with these posts my man. THe Garage66 blog player is really hoppin' with tunes right now too. That's how I found you after watching that MC5 movie at punkfriction--it may be gone by now but it's in the public eye to find at stores:>}

The_2000_Man said...

Excellent post. I have this set, and it is good. Not a lot of heavy garage fuzz-rock on this one. There are more tracks emulating the pop/rock side of the British invasion here, which is cool. I think this set is the only place to hear the Prophets' B-Side of "Yes I Know," the subdued "Sad On Me."

The real treat for me on this set is the Skunks "Don't Ask Why." I wanted to point out that this song was co-written by Wayne Proctor of We the People. Did you know this? The song sounds very much like the same writer who penned songs such as "Color of Love" and "Love Wears Black." The production kind of spoils it, but the basic song is strong enough to be of interest to fans of We the People.

The_2000_Man said...

Oh, I just looked at the notes, it says it in there (about Proctor).

The Bomber said...

Yes, a poppier rock comp with a few garagier tunes.
& yes i ve read about Proctor s collaborations.
Good point!

the one that always put a smile on me: la do da da.

Cheers

Anonymous said...

Many thanx yet again!!!!

Zeno said...

Yeah :] Love this garage style.. Thanks a lot.

Kenneth Baker said...

I'm a huge fan of Small Faces - I just heard about this new original DVD series: youtube(dot)com/profile?user=britishinvasiondvds#g/u