2.27.2008

The Iguanas: Jumping with The Iguanas (1963-65)

BAND INFO (am)

The Iguanas earned their place in rock and roll history as the launching pad for a teenaged drummer named Jim Osterberg, better known today as the influential punk pioneer Iggy Pop. Formed in Ann Arbor, MI in 1963, the Iguanas originally comprised Osterberg and guitarist Jim McLaughlin, who together made their public debut at a junior high school talent show; upon entering high school that fall, they recruited saxophonist Sam Swisher, soon after landing their first paid gig at a local school dance. The trio then recorded an instrumental demo at McLaughlin's father's home studio before swelling to a five-piece with the additions of guitarist Nick Kolokithas and bassist Don Swickerath. By 1964 they were a major attraction on the Ann Arbor rock scene, regularly playing local dances, teen clubs and frat parties; a second demo session followed later that year. In the spring of 1965, the Iguanas entered Detroit's United Sound Recording Studio to cut three more tracks, among them a cover of Bo Diddley's "Mona" (issued as a single on the group's own Forte label) and "Again and Again" (the first-ever Osterberg original). That summer they were tapped as the house band at the Club Ponytail, a nightspot located in the Harbor Springs resort area; there the Iguanas opened for acts including the Four Tops, the Shangri-Las and the Kingsmen, frequently backing the headliners onstage as well. Osterberg exited the line-up in 1966 to join the Prime Movers; the remaining Iguanas hired a new drummer and played club dates in Boston and New York, but when a deal with Columbia Records failed to materialize the band dissolved in 1967. Decades later, McLauglin, Kolokithas and Swickerath announced their intentions to revive the group in the wake of the 1996 release of the retrospective Jumpin' with the Iguanas.

IGGY POP ON DRUMS...WUA... A WONDERFUL ALBUM........

LINK: MONA ! ! !

7 comments:

Brandonio! said...

what's with the link coming soon?I mean don't bother posting unless you have the link ready.I'm Just saying!

Maximiliano said...

Hey Brandonio, I know Pablo has a lot of patience so he doesn`t answer you. But I think that if you want to have a good life you have to wait, understand?
I imagine you are very desperate and leave your woman unsatisfied all the time.
This kind of comment doesn`t add anything to the world who is reading.
So, next time think about it before you write something stupid.
Take it easy.

The Bomber said...

BRANDONIO, LET`S TRY TO AVOID UNNECESARY COMMENTS AH ? ? ... LEAVE ANOTHER COMMENTS, NOT PRECISLY THIS KIND OF LINES...NONSENSE ONES ... AHH...... BYE...

Anonymous said...

Oops... Sorry... I think I may have dissappointed you with my previous comment. Sorry, I'm really sorry. I just feel sad because I find your posts very interesting but I find it hard to read them because of the colours. I suppose the problem is just mine, I'll check my glasses, so forget it. Seriously, your blog is just wonderful and its appearance is none of my bussiness.

Sorry, sorry, sorry! I promise talking just about music next time.

Anyway, thanks a lot for both music and information.

Anonymous said...

Iggy Pop playing drums?before The Stooges?uh!! nice & great job,Pablo.Thank you veeery much and sorry about my english

Hablas castellano,¿no?Muuuuchas gracias.Un saludo desde EspaƱa

Brandonio! said...

It's been a year later and I'm still pissed about your stupid comment about me not pleasing my woman.What a stupid thing to say about someone letting you know that it's not worth posting without a link.I mean really go back and look at my comment again.Now what the fuck warranted a shitfaced comment like that.By the way Maximiliano your old lady never complains. Fuck Off Bitches!

Andy Rampage said...

"OH GRRREAT!"
ALL THIS AND "THE CRYING GAME" TOO!! ; ))